About Morris Inn
The Living Room of the University
In 1902, Notre Dame student Ernest M. Morris could not pay his tuition. He asked the school president for two favors: to let him continue enrollment on credit, and to take care
of his horse Dexter. Father John W. Cavanaugh graciously agreed. Morris graduated and went on to found his own investment firm. He donated $1 million to aid the University in its post-war expansion, and Morris Inn was constructed in his honor. Asked why he did so much in return, Morris said, “I’ll just never forget how kind Notre Dame was to my horse.”
Morris Inn sits at the heart of Notre Dame’s storied campus and continues to be known as “The Living Room of the University.” Following a $30 million renovation, Morris Inn offers 150 guest rooms, including 18 spacious suites. With three distinct dining options — Sorin’s, Rohr’s, and the Wind Family Fireside Terrace — guests will find the perfect atmosphere in which to enjoy a business lunch, family gathering, special occasion or a casual meal.
In addition, Morris Inn now has a spacious ballroom and ample meeting space with modern amenities to host business meetings and social events. It is a Historic Hotels of America member and a AAA Four Diamond Hotel, placing it in the top 5% of hotels in the United States.
At a Glance
- Every dollar stays on campus. Every stay advances the Notre Dame mission.
- AAA Four Diamond Hotel
- 150 guest rooms
- 18 suites
- Wind Family Fireside Terrace: a comfortable outdoor spot for a post-work drink
- Rohr’s: casual, enticing food made from scratch
- The Hesburgh Manhattan — only available at Rohr’s — is best enjoyed when prepared by the restaurant’s legendary bartender, Patrick “Murf” Murphy
- Sorin’s: classic French cuisine with a Midwestern flair
- Sorin’s Wine Academy: an exceptional five-course meal paired with a wine from a featured vintner
- Meeting space with built-in audio-visual equipment
- William and Mary Anne Smith Ballroom
- Pet friendly on certain floors with $50 fee, $250 deep cleaning fee (if applicable)